Old Wye Church Wye Mills, Maryland 1721, renovated 1854, restored 1947-1949
The Georgian Anglican church we see today is a restored version of the 1721 chapel of ease, itself a replacement for the original chapel first mentioned in historical records in 1698 (the actual construction date is not recorded) known originally as St. Luke’s. Taxes built the exterior structure when the Church of England was the official religion in colonial Maryland, and tobacco built the interior - the proceeds of an auction, bid upon by local farming families, resulting in the box pews that fill the structure. The American War of Independence saw the ultimate division of church and state, and a subsequent decline in funds to maintain the building. Prior to its 1854 renovation, it had fallen into disrepair due to a dwindling congregation and funds, and had been used as a stable. In 1947, a generous benefactor, Arthur Amory Houghton, Jr., president of Steuben Glass, chairman of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and grandson of the Corning Glass Works founder, was inspired by the restoration work at Williamsburg, and subsequently provided the funds to restore the chapel to its near-1721 appearance (the exception being its large rondel window over the entrance, designed to allow more natural light into the gallery); he is buried nearby in the cemetery. The entire churchyard is encompassed by old trees and boxwood, and presents one of the most serene and beautiful vistas of any located on Delmarva. A printed walking tour is available for visitors to explore at their leisure. ⚓️
Hazy, cloudy sunset at the location of the former ferry slip at Claiborne. (July 2021) . . . #kodakgold200 #olympusxa2 #film #filmphotography #filmisnotdead #35mm #35mmfilm #claibornemd #talbotcountymd #mdinfocus #maryland #landscape
FREE Concerts in the Park are back in St. Michaels! TONIGHT, June 8th, kicks off the season with Rosewood. Bring a blanket or lawn chair, friends and family, and a picnic to enjoy with a waterside view at Muskrat Park. https://tourtalbot.org/event/concert-in-the-park-rosewood/ - #talbotcountymd #mdinfocus @discovereaston @townofstmichaels @portofoxford #trappemd #RosewoodMusicOnline
FINAL CALL FOR CYCLISTS! Registration for Tour de Talbot ends on ride day, June 10th! Peddle Talbot County’s scenic Chesapeake Bay byways, leading to water views, wooden bridges, and a ride on the Oxford-Bellevue Ferry. It’s a great way to test your skills and make new friends along the way! https://tourtalbot.org/event/tour-de-talbot-bicycle-ride/ - #talbotcountymd #mdinfocus @discovereaston @townofstmichaels @portofoxford #trappemd #TourdeTalbot #biking @mapmyride
The Old Wye Grist Mill and Museum Spring Fling Opening Day: Saturday, May 6th, 2023 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Thinking about weekend plans? This Saturday is the opening day and “Spring Fling” at the nation’s oldest grist mill still in operation in Wye Mills, Maryland. The good folks there will be demonstrating corn grinding using 140 year-old mill stones, and you can purchase a variety of artisanal flours as well as jams, jellies, baked goods and mill memorabilia. There will be a documentary on view in the museum, activities for children K-6, and a basket raffle. This is a great opportunity to see living history as the Mill celebrates 341 years in operation - from feeding the first colonial families in the area and George Washington’s troops during the American Revolution, to inspiring the development of the Industrial Revolution. The Mill was built in 1682, and you can walk the beautiful grounds along the mill race and imagine all the historical figures who have passed by over the centuries - from early Maryland political figures such as the signer of the Declaration of Independence and Maryland Governor William Paca (who owned a farm nearby) to Frederick Douglass (as a young boy) and artists such as Charles Willson Peale. The weather promises to be fine and there is no better way to support local history than to come out and celebrate Spring and opening season. Regular hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m Wednesdays through Saturdays from May through October and Sundays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Visit the website at www.oldwyemill.org for more information and directions. I will drop by on Saturday and I hope to see you there, too! ⚓️
Today Talbot County commemorates D-Day, the 1944 invasion that turned the tide for the Allies during World War II. We thank those who served and especially to those who gave their lives so that others could go forth to win the war. - #talbotcountymd #mdinfocus @discovereaston @townofstmichaels @portofoxford #trappemd #dday